Sunday, April 24, 2016

The clippings I propagated from yesterday have dried out some, but not all of them have calloused over.  So, more drying before I'm going to place them in potting soil.  The two rosettes, however, have calloused over, and I've placed them in some potting soil in a small pot with another succulent I'm trying to "propagate" (but really, I'm just trying to save it after accidentally decapitating it).

The three clippings with roots have sprouted little pink baby "bumps"!  I'll post a picture tomorrow.  Today, I've spritzed them twice with a few pumps of water from a sprayer--once in the afternoon and once before bed.  I've been thinking about how I'm going to go about propagating all the clippings from yesterday, because there are quite a few of them (15+).  I think I've decided that instead of putting them in little individual black pots once they've started rooting, I'm going to put a cork plate into my terrabowl (purchased from Amazon for $10), put some potting soil on a plastic plate, and grow them in rows.  Even though I recently bought a longer (and larger) windowsill plant stand, there is no way I'm going to be able to fit 15+ little pots around that windowsill.  The terrabowl will be a good way of using space and I've been looking for a way to use it too!  This way, too, there will be a system of some kind.  I can draw a grid into the potting soil and keep track of the growth of propagates.

I've read that because Kalanchoes are winter flowering plants, to encourage blooms, I have to reduce the amount of sunlight it receives.  So, today, I've moved the plant to a less bright spot, and over time I'll start reducing the amount of sun it receives during the day by moving it into a closet for at least 11 hours.  There are a few buds, though!  They're small and green, and hopefully, if I don't botch this, they'll grow into new blooms!

My Peace Lily is starting to show some burning around the edges too, now that we have had to take down a larger tree in our backyard. More sun is definitely streaming into the window, so I'll have to keep an eye out and maybe move the peace lily to another window and maybe even the succulents too, if it gets to be too hot!

In other news, I went succulent shopping today and arranged a new little garden:



I'm happy with the way that it turned out!  I think it's got nice variety, color, and transition.  Contemplating whether I should put some smaller ones around the bigger ones though, to see if I can fill the space--but I'm holding out!  Maybe I'll get a whole bunch of new succys in a few months to put in!

No comments:

Post a Comment